Loading... Please wait...

What Should I do if My Dog has Eaten Chocolate?

Posted by

I really hope everyone and their four pawed little buddies had a fantastic Easter Day and certainly without any doggy chocoholic incidents. Good thing to remember even after Easter if you have kids or not the house still has a lot of chocolate around, so let’s not get too lax with keeping our four pawed buddies out of harm’s way.

Just in case here’s what to do if you find your four pawed chocoholic roaming the house with a belly full.

Sad Puppy Face

Depending on the consumption your pet has consumed the symptoms will occur between 4-24 hours of eating the chocolate. Firstly, if you know your pet has eaten chocolate, get your dog / cat to a vet straight away be aware of these symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Rapid breathing
  • Muscle tension, in-coordination
  • Increased heart rate
  • Seizures

Make sure you let the vet know how much chocolate and what type of chocolate your dog has eaten, this information will help them work out whether they have eaten a toxic dose or not, and what type of treatment they will provide for your dog.

There is really no specific medication so in most cases your vet will most probably make the dog vomit or in extreme cases pump their stomach. They may also need to put fluids back into your pet via hooking them up to a drip, and then perhaps some medication to control heart rate, blood pressure and seizures.

With quick and prompt treatment the outcome is usually pretty good even for dogs that have eaten large amounts of chocolate. The key message here is to get them to a vet as soon as possible.

Then once you and your buddy are safely home, it's time to hide all the chocolate in the house once again.

Happy holidays from the Four Paws and Friends team!

Love, licks and wags,

Donna & Monty